We are very grateful to everyone who took the time to complete our survey
on academic library mentoring experiences.  Between July 19 and August 4,
2017, we received 514 responses to the survey.  A summary of our analysis
to date is available at https://goo.gl/KSKTqP

Highlights of the responses include:

   - Mentoring experiences were more commonly reported by respondents from
   larger higher education institutions.
   - Respondents were predominantly in public services positions.
   - There is a higher incidence of mentoring during the first 6 years of a
   librarian's career than during the years beyond that time.
   - Formal mentoring programs organized by libraries and library
   professional organizations were most common, but nearly one-third of
   respondents had a mentoring experience in which the mentee informally
   approached a mentor.
   - Mentees and mentors most valued these characteristics of mentoring:
   empathy, having a knowledgeable and experienced mentor, and confidentiality.

Thank you again for your participation and interest in the survey!

John Burke and Beth Tumbleson

John J. Burke, MSLS

Library Director & Principal Librarian

Gardner-Harvey Library

Miami University Middletown

513-727-3293 <(513)%20727-3293>

http://miamioh.edu/burkejj

Text your questions to 513-273-5360 <(513)%20273-5360>

Have you noticed another staff member going above and beyond?

Nominate them
<https://miamioh.formstack.com/forms/staff_highlight_nomination> and the
Miami University Regionals Staff Forum will recognize them at our next
meeting!

Beth E. Tumbleson, MA, MS
Assistant Director,Gardner-Harvey Library
Library, Room 130
Miami University Middletown
4200 North University Boulevard
Middletown, OH  45042-3497