*apologies for cross-posting*

Dear all,

Please consider participating in a 60-minute interview on your institutions’ uptake of PDF/A. Optionally, consider participating simply by providing written responses to an email questionnaire.

This summer, the Bodleian Libraries at the University of Oxford hosted a placement student from the Illinois School of Information Sciences to work with the Polonsky Digital Preservation Fellows for a research project on the PDF/A (Portable Document Format—Archival) file format. This project seeks to identify which flavour(s) of PDF/A best suit the content and repository needs for theses ingested into the Oxford University Research Archive<https://ora.ox.ac.uk/> (ORA).

Using veraPDF<http://verapdf.org/home/> for validation, many of the theses fail due to the presence of non-Unicode (i.e., non-conforming) glyphs. Since we have encountered so many files that fail validation with veraPDF, my project team and I are considering investigating the possibility of disregarding some aspects of non-conformance if those factors present no preservation risks.

We are curious to learn other institutions’ approaches to PDF/A or standard PDF validation, in addition to any issues encountered in the process or PDF/A creation and conformance.

I thank you in advance for your willingness to assist in my own research process.

Cheers,
Anna

This solicitation has been reviewed by IRB and is part of approved test protocol #18056.

----
Anna Oates
MSLIS Candidate, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
NDNP Coordinator Graduate Assistant, Preservation Services