Help us Build Directories for African American Newspapers and LGBT Newspapers in the U.S. (states and territories)

We know that our choices as archivists, librarians, and curators matter. The historical record is largely shaped by what we gather, what we provide access to, and whose voices we preserve.

In this moment, we want to ignite the power and passion of libraries, archives, and museums to amplify voices that have too often gone unheard in this country.

Together with you all, we seek to create two new, open resources:
  • AN OPEN DIRECTORY OF AFRICAN AMERICAN NEWSPAPERS AND PERIODICALS
  • AN OPEN DIRECTORY OF LGBT NEWSPAPERS AND PERIODICALS
Participation is easy.

Educopia Institute, in partnership with DPLA, has created two surveys to capture information about your holdings in these two areas.

We need libraries, archives, and museums of ALL sizes and types to contribute simple metadata about your holdings using these survey instruments.

The content you hold matters--whether it is a single page or full runs, and whether it is print, microfiche, or digital. It needs to be represented.

We know this is a big project. We also know the perfect is the enemy of the good. We’re not looking for perfection, just for participation.

Please join us!

Survey instrument for African American newspapers and periodicals: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NewsOnTheMargins_AFAM

Survey instrument for LGBT newspapers and periodicals: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NewsOnTheMargins_LGBT

SURVEYS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 30, 2017.

For more information about the project, please contact Katherine Skinner using the contact information below.

Katherine Skinner, PhD
Executive Director, Educopia Institute

Working from Greensboro, NC