*apologies for cross-posting*

Dear all,

Please consider participating in a 60-minute interview on your institutions’ uptake of PDF/A. Optionally, consider participating simply by providing written responses to an email questionnaire.

This summer, the Bodleian Libraries at the University of Oxford hosted a placement student from the Illinois School of Information Sciences to work with the Polonsky Digital Preservation Fellows for a research project on the PDF/A (Portable Document Format—Archival) file format. This project seeks to identify which flavour(s) of PDF/A best suit the content and repository needs for theses ingested into the Oxford University Research Archive (ORA).

Using veraPDF for validation, many of the theses fail due to the presence of non-Unicode (i.e., non-conforming) glyphs. Since we have encountered so many files that fail validation with veraPDF, my project team and I are considering investigating the possibility of disregarding some aspects of non-conformance if those factors present no preservation risks.

We are curious to learn other institutions’ approaches to PDF/A or standard PDF validation, in addition to any issues encountered in the process or PDF/A creation and conformance.

I thank you in advance for your willingness to assist in my own research process.

Cheers,

Anna

This solicitation has been reviewed by IRB and is part of approved test protocol #18056.

----

Anna Oates

MSLIS Candidate, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

NDNP Coordinator Graduate Assistant, Preservation Services