Salvete!

So I wonder - is this what the library system of the future will provide - a way of accumulating citations from librarian-selected sources and retain the subject-sorting of those sources, as well as displaying them by the most-cited?   I don't think it's as much laziness on my part that makes me dream of this data-based method of crafting library guides, as much as a search for the authoritative.

     This sounds like the sort of thought experiment one should engage upon in a team setting. What you mentioned sounds quite similar to Fred King's (Washington Medstar) brute forcing of Medline and Koha. I would suspect that you might needs jury rig it a bit more to fit your needs precisely.

Cheers,
Brooke