Hi folks,

I wonder what tools folks are using to make reading level/lexile/etc. information available in their catalogs. I'm interested in:
* how you get the information for each book
* how you record it in the catalog (MARC fields, etc)
* how you make it searchable / limitable

Bonus points for III/Innovative systems, but ideas from outside that realm are good too.

Here's my current approach/hack: there's no leveling info in the catalog, but we javascript-up a button built from the title statement to create a link to Scholastic's Book Wizard, e.g.:

Our catalog record: http://ezra.wittenberg.edu/record=b1267488~S0
Has a link called
Look Up Grade Level @ Scholastic: https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/bookwizard/?search=1&filters=&prefilter=books&text=Where%20the%20wild%20things%20are%20by%20Maurice%20Sendak

It's better than nothing, but it sometimes fails (book not in scholastic's catalog, or weird statement of responsibility monkeys with the link-maker), and the information is not stored anywhere in our system.

I bet there's a better way, and I wonder what you all are doing.

Thanks
Ken