Amigos Library Services has a great line up of online classes in October. Seats are filling up so don't delay in registering!

Know & Go: The Power of Presenting - October 2, 2017, 1:30 pm - 2:30 pm CDT
Speaking at conferences and other events is an opportunity to share ideas and get your name out among the library field. If you've never presented at a conference before, it can be intimidating to decide what to talk about, what format, and for what conference. In this session, we will talk about why public speaking is an important skill to master, different types of common presentation formats, and offer suggestions to help you choose the best format for your topic. In addition, we will talk about tips and strategies to help you become a better presenter. Register today at: https://www.amigos.org/node/4517.

RDA for Copy Catalogers - October 4 - 5, 2017, 10:30 am - 12:30 pm CDT
Copy Catalogers, whether or not your library has implemented RDA, you're encountering more and more RDA records in your daily work. This two-day, live-online workshop will help you to recognize and interpret MARC records created using RDA. Among the topics to be covered: FRBR review; new RDA MARC fields; differences between AACR2 and RDA descriptions; access points for persons, families, corporate bodies, works and expressions; relationship designators added to access points; examples of RDA bibliographic records. Register today at: https://www.amigos.org/node/3115.

Makerspaces in the Library: How to plan for success! - October 11, 2017, 10:00 am - 12:00 pm CDT
Implementing a makerspace into your library's services can be a challenging and exciting project for public, special, school and academic librarians alike. This course will utilize feedback from other successful makerspaces, and look at how makerspaces can be designed to promote library services already in place. We will also be talking about what it means to be innovative and interdisciplinary with your library's programming. Library services should be reevaluated on a regular basis and interpreted liberally with planning your makerspace. Register today at: https://www.amigos.org/node/4645.

RDA for Video Recordings - October 11 - 12, 2017, 10:30 am - 12:30 pm CDT
This workshop covers the RDA instructions relevant to cataloging carrier-based and electronic video recordings. Among the topics to be covered: descriptive elements; choice of preferred source of information; access points, relationship designators. Register today at: https://www.amigos.org/node/3244.

The Usable Library - October 18 & 20, 2017, 10:00 am - 12:00 pm CDT
As librarians, one of our main goals is to connect people with the information that they need. While librarians play a very large part in this process, we must not forget the role our libraries themselves play in this process. Our libraries should be attractive, yes, but above all, they should be usable. In this course, we will identify key barriers to a library's usability. We will discuss possible solutions for improving the layout and signage of a library, optimizing its usability. Finally, we will outline how to conduct a usability test in your library. Register today at: https://www.amigos.org/node/4044.

Teaching Beginner Computer Classes: Seniors and Beyond - October 23 -24, 2017, 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm CDT
Developing basic computer skills is a challenge that college students and seniors alike can face. Libraries increasingly offer beginning computer classes in both the public and academic fields in an attempt to bridge the gap between people and information. In this class, we will identify the applications, tools and skills computer beginners need, distinguishing the needs of seniors from those of younger learners. We will discuss the disposition and patience needed by computer class instructors, and finally, we will develop sample curricula for a computer class in your library. Register today at: https://www.amigos.org/node/3671.

Dealing with Difficult Patrons - October 24 & 26, 2017, 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm CDT
Everyone working in a library will at one point have an interaction with a difficult patron. Whether the patron is frustrated with library policy, refuses to follow standard rules, or is simply argumentative or persistent, librarians must develop interpersonal skills in order to deal with these patrons. In this course, we will apply standard customer service skills when relating to difficult patrons. We will also list common patron difficulties as well as ways to effectively solve problems. Register today at: https://www.amigos.org/node/2008.

Know & Go: Ransomware - October 30, 2017, 1:30 pm - 2:30 pm CDT
Wanna Cry, a 2017 computer attack, is an example of ransomware. The attackers demanded $300 for every computer it infected. If the money was not paid within 7 days, all files on that computer were deleted. But what is ransomware and how does it work? More importantly, is there anything we can do to prevent it? In this session, we'll take a few minutes to delve into the darker side of the Internet, specifically ransomware. Register today at: https://www.amigos.org/node/4694.

You can view our entire course schedule at: http://www.amigos.org/continuing_education.

Thanks!

Jodie

Jodie Borgerding
Consulting & Education Services Manager
Amigos Library Services
1190 Meramec Station Road, Suite 207 | Ballwin, MO  63021-6902
800-843-8482 x2897 | 972-340-2897(direct)
www.amigos.org<http://www.amigos.org/> | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

[cid:[log in to unmask]]
Check out our member benefits<http://www.amigos.org/benefits>