Dear DLF community,

The Design for Diversity project, supported by the IMLS, focuses on the ways in which information systems embody and reinforce cultural norms, and asks how we can design systems that account for diverse cultural materials and ways of knowing. Our project therefore focuses on issues of diversity and inclusion in areas like metadata, user interface, standards, algorithms, programming languages, and operating systems. Based on a series of working meetings, we will be developing a collaborative pedagogical toolkit to encourage inclusive and ethical practices in information sciences and system design in cultural heritage.

These seems like issues central to the DLF community! So I'm excited to let you know that registration is now open for the Design for Diversity opening forum and working meeting October 16-17 in Boston, Massachusetts: http://dsg.neu.edu/d4dreg2017 .

We've been really pleased and surprised by the strong expressions of interest in our opening forum, and due to the limited size of the venue, we're not sure we'll be able to accommodate everyone who wants to attend. Registration will be on a first-come, first-served basis. However, in order to maximize participation, we will also be offering a live stream of the event, live tweeting, and other forms of virtual participation.

We also welcome contributions to our bibliography and proposals for written case studies, which will be included in the final teaching and learning toolkit. You can read more about the case studies and submit a proposal here:
http://dsg.neu.edu/research/design-for-diversity/case-studies/
http://dsg.neu.edu/d4dsubmit

For more information about the project as a whole, please visit the project site:
http://dsg.neu.edu/research/design-for-diversity/

And please contact the grant team at [log in to unmask] with any questions.
We hope to work with you on this project!
Best wishes,

Amanda, on behalf of the Design for Diversity<http://dsg.neu.edu/research/design-for-diversity/> team (Julia Flanders, Cara Messina, Amanda Rust, Sarah Sweeney) in the Digital Scholarship Group<http://dsg.neu.edu/> at Northeastern University Libraries<http://library.northeastern.edu/>.

Amanda Rust
Assistant Director, Digital Scholarship Group
English & Digital Humanities Librarian
Northeastern University Libraries
[log in to unmask] / 617-373-8548