Josh,

If you have funds (or you anticipate saving enough funds by ending local
dspace support), a SAAS platform like what Tom suggests is worth
considering, so it's worthwhile to throw contentDM into the mix. I'll be
honest; I never cared for it (the platform lacked flexibility to me), but
we had it at one library I've worked at, and, if your needs are modest, it
might meet them. It's completely hosted, so the local hosting overhead is
eliminated. There's also Digital Commons, although I've also found them too
limited for my uses in the past, and since their recent change in ownership
I would regard them dubiously. The thing I would be most careful with, for
both of those products, would be having a plan in place to migrate your
data out of them should circumstances change. I've heard of some challenges
on that front in Digital Commons (although I have no direct experience in
that area, and things may have improved since I heard that feedback), and
I'm not sure what the migration options look like in contentDM.

Here at K-State we use DSpace, but we host our instance on Amazon Web
Services rather than through local physical or virtual boxes. My systems
folks have been very happy with this move, which, while keeping us in full
control of our boxes, has eased some aspects of their management and
provided us with enhanced reliability.

All that having been said, I really like what you, Jonathan, and Tom have
said about looking at looking at an IR as a set of services and
'interrogating' what that means and how those services might be delivered.
I think we, as a profession, need to do that for a variety of products,
including IRs and catalogs.

Best regards,

*Jason Bengtson*

*http://www.jasonbengtson.com/ <http://www.jasonbengtson.com/>*