> The technology needed for an IR is
pretty simple: a place to put files, a way to discover files, a way to
submit files, a way to describe files. It's the kind of thing that a
university's in-house IT department could put together pretty easily with
some web forms.

While certainly true on the surface, I think the real issue is going to be
the maintainability and sustainability of such a project that is
essentially already solved with a platform like DSpace. Rolling your own,
in such a piecemeal way is likely to introduce loads of uncertain
complexity.