> While certainly true on the surface, I think the real issue is going to be
> the maintainability and sustainability of such a project that is
> essentially already solved with a platform like DSpace. Rolling your own,
> in such a piecemeal way is likely to introduce loads of uncertain
> complexity.

Yes and no. DSpace has documentation and a community. That's a big plus. On
the other hand, if you break an IR down into its component parts, they can
be presented in a way that anyone can understand. Any modern librarian can
understand moving files to a backup location or creating MARC records. And
librarians could very conceivably come up with ways to improve those
processes continually. The same can't be said for DSpace. One of our IT
people and I have spent dozens of hours working with DSpace and reading its
documentation, and we still only have a cursory understanding of how the
system works. Even something simple like changing a data entry form in
DSpace requires a level of expertise that most librarians lack.

Joshua Welker
Information Technology Librarian
James C. Kirkpatrick Library
University of Central Missouri