The planning for Code4Lib 2018 in D.C. is well under way, with voting
for preconference workshops having wrapped up, applications for
diversity scholarships being funded, and contributions to the Angel
Fund (this year with bonus matching challenges) coming in.

We have reached the point where we have to set the maximum
registration fees. Specifically, we are setting the maximum
registration fees to:

* $350 for conference registration
* $60 to attend pre-conference workshops; this would be in addition to
the base registration fee. As has been the case in the past, it will
be possible to attend only for the pre-conference workshop day

We emphasize that the $350 base registration fee is a maximum. For
those of you who need to make travel requests now, the registration
will not be higher than that. While the fee is in line with similar
conferences, it is higher than previous Code4Lib conferences.
However, there is a chance to make it lower.

Specifically, thanks to the generosity of our sponsors and the 2018
conference's fiscal host, DLF/CLIR, some of the costs of the
conference have been offset, but we would like to ask for additional
help seeking sponsorships in the hopes of being able to announce a
lower registration fee.

At present, we have $38,500 in committed sponsorships and $13,500 in
donations to the scholarship fund (not yet counting contributions via
the Angel Fund). Planned expenses so far are running about $260,000,
including:

* Food and beverages at the conference hotel and related service
charges; meeting our food and beverage minimum means that the
conference room rental fees are waived
* A/V services
* Conference management services via CONCENTRA
* Event insurance
* Electrical and internet services
* T-shirts
* Online transcription services
* Reception venue costs and catering
* Childcare support
* Keynote speaker support
* Credit card fees
* Hotel staff gratuities
* Poster board rental

Of course, some of these expenses may or may not transpire, and some
of them scale a bit based on the number of people who show up.

Consequently, we would appreciate if you could ask your employers and
the service providers you work with in the GLAM technology space to
consider sponsoring Code4Lib. The prospectus of promotional
opportunities we can offer to sponsors is here.  You do NOT have to
make the request personally; you can get in touch with the folks on
the Sponsorship Committee at [log in to unmask] and give them
contact information and they would be happy to make the request.

We will be announcing the final registration fee on 13 November.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton