On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 9:12 AM, Edward Summers <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > On Oct 14, 2017, at 7:09 AM, Stuart A. Yeates <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >
> > archive.org web harvests include at least some DNS details for the
> content
> > they harvest. I'm not sure how comprehensive it is and I'm pretty such
> that
> > there isn't a tool for easily exploring it.
>
> I was thinking about that too. It seems like a window in on those records
> stored in WARCs could be pretty useful right? But I guess with whois guard
> not much information about the organizations is often available via DNS.

Even presuming those records could be flawlessly retrieved, DNS contains
only a tiny fraction of organizational information, makes hierarchies
appear much flatter than they are, creates the appearance of hierarchical
relationships that do not exist, places entities in the wrong hierarchies,
and can't convey some important relationships. These issues limit the
utility of the information.

The complexity of tracking organizational activity increases geometrically
with the number of levels and relationships.

kyle