This is a derail, but I feel obligated to offer a different representation
of DSpace.

DSpace is a full-stack IR product (without a dependency on Fedora, for
example), written principally in Java; it is also an Open Source project:
https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace

principally funded by research university libraries:
http://duraspace.org/all_members/dspace

... with a publicly available governance structure:
http://www.dspace.org/introducing
http://www.dspace.org/governance

... whose contributors are largely employed by non-profits:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpaceContributors

... as is the Community Advisory Team:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/cmtygp/DSpace+Community+Advisory+Team

It's worth noting that while there is commercial hosting for DSpace:
http://www.dspace.org/service-providers

... some of it is also (as Tom mentioned) non-profit hosting at DuraSpace:
http://dspacedirect.org/

In short: While I don't use DSpace, I also don't think characterizing it as
"commercial proprietary" is accurate in any but the most unhelpfully
expansive definitions of both words together. It's a community-driven
project, publicly guided by a mix of non- and for-profit service providers
and installers, whose development efforts are hosted at DuraSpace. It's not
commercial or proprietary in a way that distinguishes it from
Samvera-née-Hydra, and (if I can briefly editorialize) it's an excellent
solution for institutions that prefer to work with a hosting provider with
an out-of-the-box product.

- Ben