Benjamin,

I don't think anyone in this thread means to disparage DSpace. I agree that
considering it commercial or proprietary is not accurate. DSpace is a
turnkey solution, just as you said. My contention is that maybe we don't
really need a turnkey IR solution. The technology needed for an IR is
pretty simple: a place to put files, a way to discover files, a way to
submit files, a way to describe files. It's the kind of thing that a
university's in-house IT department could put together pretty easily with
some web forms. I feel like we misrepresent the goals and requirements for
having an IR if we promote the mentality that an IR requires an all-in-one,
out-of-the-box solution that does every aspect of the IR workflow.

Joshua Welker
Information Technology Librarian
James C. Kirkpatrick Library
University of Central Missouri