We have some (Java) code at California Digital Library that parses serial summary holding statements derived from MARC holdings records, and are thinking of making it its own open source project. We would be interested in knowing if anyone would be interested in using the code  or working on it, and whether you already have code that does similar parsing.

Our main use cases for this are determining which institutions in our consortium hold a specific year of a serial title for purposes of consortial resource sharing, and also which institution holds the deepest backlog of a title in the WEST shared print program.