Based on the intro:

> Organizations/institutions are a key part of the scholarly communications
ecosystem. However, we lack an openly licensed, independently run
organizational identifier standard to use for common affiliation and
citation use cases.

I would assume any organization at all that anyone with a scholarly
publication has an 'affiliation' with such that they'd list on the
publication they are an author of.

The obvious use case of course is for organizations interested in tracking
their 'number of publications from affiliated scholars'.

Jonathan