From the "OpenPIIR Product Scope and Principles," Final Version 2017-July
17-- "The complexity of describing affiliation information for researchers
increases dramatically when going back in time, while at the same time the
potential benefits of linking research outputs and their contributors to
institutions decrease. For these reasons, the openPIIR should focus on
active researchers and their affiliation at present and in the recent (~5
years) past."

This is only half true. The complexity arises from the way organizations
constantly alter their internal and external organizational structures and
relationships. That's not something that a short retrospective horizon can
dispense with, unless the intent is to describe only a snapshot of
organizations. If the intent is to build a registry of lasting value, then
policies for coping with the changes organizations undergo and the complex
relationships those changes entail will need to be developed by the
openPIIR initiative. Only the extent of the work is being limited by this
statement, not its complexity.

Stephen Hearn (member of the OCLC Research Partners Task Group on
Representing Organizations in ISNI
<http://www.oclc.org/research/themes/research-collections/isni-organizations.html>
)

--