Villanova implemented a model like this with VuFind.  Eric, you should
recall the Augustinian bibliography project that Notre Dame was involved
in.  Here is an example:
http://findingaugustine.org/

The new project that I am involved with, FOLIO, could supporting this
concept. The data model behind FOLIO, the FOLIO Codex, looks to combine
multiple "knowledgebases" of works.  For example, the LOC or a library
catalog could be considered a knowledgebase.  Organizations, libraries,
vendors, etc can then publish knowledgebases to be consumed or leveraged by
other groups.  The great thing is these collections will be using the
BIBFRAME model rather than MARC! For example, the Augustinian bibliography
(which is not MARC) could be published as a knowledgebase that could then
be consumed by libraries who are using FOLIO to manage their collection.
You could then put VuFind on top of the collection and make it publicly
accessible.

The FOLIO data model and supporting applications should be ready early next
year - would be fun to play with this concept and prove it out.

Andrew