Forum on Ethics and Archiving the Web
New Museum, New York City, March 22-24
Proposals due by November 14 (funding available)
http://rhizome.org/editorial/2017/oct/24/open-call-national-forum-on-ethics-and-archiving-the-web/

The dramatic rise in the public’s use of the web and social media to document events presents tremendous opportunities to transform social memory practices. As new kinds of archives emerge, there is a pressing need for dialogue about the ethical risks and opportunities that they present to both those documenting and those documented.

Proposals for presentations, discussions, case studies and workshops are now being accepted till November 14. Honorariums for presenters and travel funding for both presenters and interested attendees are available. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

* community-driven web archiving efforts
* documentation of activism
* archiving trauma, violence, and human rights issues
* recognizing and dismantling digital colonialism and white supremacy in web archives
* strategies for protecting users, from one another, from surveillance, or from commercial interests
* design-driven approaches to building values & ethics into web archives
* issues arising when archives become big data or are used for machine learning

There will also be a day for open collaboration on tools, practices and strategies for web archiving. Presenters will receive an honorarium and there is also travel funding available to help folks make it who might otherwise not be able to attend.

Recognizing that ethics and web archiving is a rapidly evolving field and that it might not fit directly into your primary work/research interests we wanted to keep the proposal process simple. We just need 100 words from you about why you would like to be part of the event which you can enter into this form. We hope to see you there!