It turns out it's straightforward to reimplement the default fingerprinting
algorithm that OpenRefine uses. We did that here to help catch those sorts
of trivial spelling differences in user searches in order to provide
best-bet suggestions for some of our most popular stuff. Here's my
reimplementation; have fun:
https://github.com/MITLibraries/bento/blob/ec3901657a8548f9c16c8d31a866d7239aa29f0c/app/models/hint.rb#L48

Once you have a cluster of strings with a common fingerprint, you'd need to
pick a canonical form for everything in that cluster, since the fingerprint
itself isn't a thing you'd want to expose to humans.

--
Andromeda Yelton
Senior Software Engineer, MIT Libraries: https://libraries.mit.edu/