I use web scraping sometimes to extract data from systems that lack APIs.
I'm doing this to get current library job openings from our University jobs
application, for instance. I use the structure of their website in a way
similar to an API query, scrape the results, and extract only what I need.
I jokingly call it a FIFIO API (Fine, I'll Figure It Out). Obviously, such
a tool is inherently unstable, and has to be closely managed. When used
with things like the jobs application, which maintain a relatively stable
uri structure over time, however, it can be a pretty good tool when you
have nothing else. I also used screen scraping as part of a tool I built
years ago to allow authorized staff to create announcements within a
special libguide that they then pushed to the EZ Proxy login page. I wrote
a book chapter on that one:   "Leveraging LibGuides as an EZProxy
Notifications Interface." Innovative Libguides Applications: Real World
Examples. New York: Rowman & Littlefield, 2016

Best regards,

*Jason Bengtson*

*http://www.jasonbengtson.com/ <http://www.jasonbengtson.com/>*

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 12:24 PM, Brad Coffield <[log in to unmask]