The School of Information Sciences, the iSchool at Illinois, is actively
recruiting highly motivated, prospective doctoral students who are
interested in becoming partners in our world-renowned research and
scholarship program. We encourage applications from students from all
disciplinary backgrounds.

Admitted candidates are offered up to four years of funding in the form of
research, teaching, and service assistantships, including tuition waivers
and stipends as long as they remain in good standing. Students receive
one-on-one mentorship from faculty with a global reputation for excellence
in scholarship and high impact science. The School's flexible program
ensures that each student is provided with the intellectual guidance and
experiences necessary to prepare them for vibrant research careers in a
wide range of academic, business, and government settings.

We study how:
* Information literacy enables participation in the knowledge society,
* Systems serve people,
* Libraries shape what we know and who we are,
* History informs our identity and guides our information future,
* Data science opens new windows to knowledge,
* Information is a vital human resource.

For more on our vision: http://ischool.illinois.edu/research/vision

We highly value interdisciplinary work at our school. Our faculty and
students conduct research and collaborate on a broad range of topics:

* Community informatics
* Data curation
* Data science
* Digital humanities
* Digital archives and libraries
* Health and bioinformatics
* History of information
* Human-centered data science, Computational social science
* Human-computer interaction, User experience, Computer supported
cooperative work
* Information policy, privacy, security, and ethics
* Information literacy, Information access
* Information retrieval
* Information visualization
* Informetrics
* Libraries and librarianship
* Machine learning
* Natural language processing, Text mining, Text analysis
* Network science
* Organization of knowledge and information
* Scientific data and knowledge practices
* Youth services and digital youth

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
* Our PhD program: http://ischool.illinois.edu/academics/degrees/phd
or contact [log in to unmask]
* The iSchool faculty: http://ischool.illinois.edu/people/faculty

We encourage foreign and domestic students from historically and
statistically underrepresented minority groups to apply. Deadline for PhD
applications is Monday December 04, 2017 (23:59, AoE (anywhere on earth),
more formally known as Howland Island time).

ONLINE INFORMATION SESSION
On Tuesday, November 7, 2017, from 8:00-9:00 a.m. Central Standard Time, we
will host an online information session about our PhD degree in library and
information science. During the session, iSchool faculty and staff will
answer questions and provide information about our School and programs.
Login instructions are below.

ONLINE: http://go.ischool.illinois.edu/meet
Login Instructions:
http://groups.lis.illinois.edu/itdweb/bbcollaborate/bbcmeetingrooms.php
If you are away from your computer or without a microphone, you may dial in
to the session as follows:
Meeting Room Number: +1-571-392-7703, PIN: 504 275 651 202
If you have questions or problems with regard to participation, please
contact our Help Desk:
[log in to unmask], +1-217-244-4903 or +1-800-377-1892.
For additional information about the online information session:
http://ischool.illinois.edu/events/2017/11/07/phd-online-information-session