From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Brian Sheppard
Sent: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 7:17 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Question about handling/rendering of supplemental files in Electronic Theses and Dissertations

This storage structure seems to imply that, to display the PDF and have viable links to supplemental files, one has to download the entire directory. Is that right?

Otherwise a viewer's local copy of the main PDF wouldn't be able to find the linked files. That, or the Adobe Reader remembers where the PDF was downloaded from, and renders the links accordingly?

To my mind, it's preferrable to have all discrete objects be unambiguously addressable, ideally via some persistent ID like a DOI or similar. That goes for both the primary object of interest (the ETD) and the supplemental files.

This might be a good time to take a step back and review how you're storing relationships between objects and how that might fit with a standard such as METS. A simple first step might be creating some kind of file manifest (stored in the ETD directory) that expresses the relations between files. ("I am an ETD and these files are my children who bear witness," etc.) And later, you could make use of those manifests to express those relations however you choose.

This isn't a solution, to be sure, but maybe some thoughts to ponder.