Don't miss out on these upcoming courses from Amigos Library Services. Registration ends soon!

Drama Free Graphic Design - November 29, 2-4 pm CST: - Are your library's brochures, flyers, and other promotional materials starting to look stale and boring? Are your graphic design skills simply copy and paste clip art in black and white? Does the thought of using Adobe InDesign or Microsoft Publisher make your palms sweat? In this course, we will learn about basic elements that make up a design as well as principles on how to use those elements. Lastly, we will demonstrate how to tie it all together using the user friendly free web-based design program, Canva, to create remarkable print and electronic promotional materials. Register today at https://www.amigos.org/node/4302.

RDA for Audio Recordings - November 29 & 30, 10:30 - 12:30 pm CST: This workshop covers the RDA instructions relevant to carrier-based and electronic audio recordings. Among the topics to be covered include descriptive elements, access points, relationship designators and more. Register today at https://www.amigos.org/node/3243.

Myers-Briggs at Work - December 1, 1-2 pm CST:  The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) is one of many personality tests that helps you understand yourself and people around you. We will start with a quick overview of Myers-Briggs, and then start to relate it to the workplace. Understanding your MBTI, as well as those of your co-workers, can open up communications between you. Before attending this class, be sure to have your MBTI. If you don't know it, you can take a freely-available test at https://www.onlinepersonalitytests.org/mbti. If you have the MBTI for others, bring them as well. Register today at https://www.amigos.org/node/4720.

Cataloging & Classification Basics - December 5-14, 10:30 - 12:30 pm CST: Need a "boot camp" to get started with cataloging? This course is designed to give you the practical, hands-on information needed to succeed in cataloging. We will cover MARC bibliographic, classification and categorization schemas, basic copy cataloging, and other areas essential to the cataloging department. This course offers an in-depth look at MARC fields (fixed and variable) and subfields used for cataloging. It prepares participants to begin copy cataloging by demonstrating how to interpret bibliographic records and match to items in hand. Topics include terminology, resources, and workflow. Hands-on exercises (at least one per day) provide practice using new skills. Examples and exercises will be based on OCLC-MARC, accessed through the Connexion cataloging interface. This course is designed for new technical services staff, those desiring a refresher, as well as paraprofessional staff earning the ALA Library Support Staff certification. Early bird registration ends November 13. Register today at https://www.amigos.org/node/1890.

Copyright 101: Helping Patrons Understand Copyright - December 5 & 7, 2-4 pm CST: Librarians come in contact with copyright laws in a variety of ways in their work. Whether it is a student wanting to make copies, an instructor wanting to show a film in class, or a small business owner wanting to use content for marketing materials, our work and our patrons present us with a myriad of copyright-related dilemmas. In this course, we will start with a brief overview of the history of American copyright law and then discuss how copyright law effects our work as information professionals. Finally, we will explore solutions to possible copyright-related dilemmas we may encounter with our patrons and in our work. Disclaimer: This class is not taught by a lawyer. If you need legal advice, please contact a lawyer. Early bird registration ends November 13. Register today at https://www.amigos.org/node/4052.

If you are interested in customized training for your library staff, please send us an email at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Jodie

Jodie Borgerding
Consulting & Education Services Manager
Amigos Library Services
1190 Meramec Station Road, Suite 207 | Ballwin, MO  63021-6902
800-843-8482 x2897 | 972-340-2897(direct)
www.amigos.org<http://www.amigos.org/> | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
[facebook logo]<https://www.facebook.com/AmigosLibraryServices>[twitter icon]<https://twitter.com/AmigosLibServ>

[cid:[log in to unmask]]
Check out our member benefits<http://www.amigos.org/benefits>