I'll humbly suggest that FOLIO might be a platform for that coherent whole, albeit one that isn't ready for such a role today.  The service platform concept enables apps to cooperate on storing and operating on data in the system.  There has been early talk about the needs for library special collections departments for attached record types like "conservation treatment" and reading room requests.  The core of the platform is metadata agnostic...it will enable several descriptive record formats to coexist in the same system.  The authority control and linked data elements are beyond the plans for v1 to be ready next year; it would be useful to have archive and museum perspectives complement the library perspectives that are a part of the project now.

Peter