That description takes in a lot of territory, so the answer, as usual, is “it depends”. Mostly, it depends on the nature of the metadata. If your objects are all TIFFs, you can place metadata in their files using EXIF and EXIF extensions. While elegant, it is not likely to be sufficient in most cases.

I work mostly with Islandora, and as much as I would like you to join the club, it is likely overkill for your needs.

At the other end of the spectrum, you could put everything in a database, which would work, but I guess would be underkill, as you would have to build forms and reporting on your own.

I think that a lightweight DAMS like Omeka might be a good fit.

Thanks,

Cary