Final Hours to Register for this NISO Webinar:

Engineering Access Under the Hood, Part Two:  Enhancing & Harmonizing Metadata for Discovery & Use

Date and Time: Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. (Eastern Time)

To learn more about both segments of this two-part webinar, visit the NISO event page.

Paying by credit card? Register online for Part 2. Registration closes at noon (Eastern) on Wednesday, November 15.

Who is speaking in the November 15 segment? What will they be addressing?

Eliminating Conflicts in Ebook Metadata
Patricia Payton
Senior Manager, Provider Relations, Proquest/Bowker

Harmonizing and enhancing ebook and print metadata is a focus for many publishers, yet there is still work to be done and variations may occur, including sales rights, publication dates, and pricing. Learn to avoid ebook metadata pitfalls by understanding how recipients read and interpret your data. Also learn how NISO is bringing publishers and librarians together to set best practices for key ebook metadata points.

Conglomerating and Collocating Collections without Convoluted Concoction
Scott Anderson
Associate Professor & Information Systems Librarian, Millersville University

Scott Anderson will discuss how Millersville University is working with several vendor partners (Atlas Systems,  EBSCO, TIND) to inject local and special collections content into its discovery service and expose those collections to the open web via linked data. The idea is to use as much of the same workflow as possible to harvest from finding aids, repositories, and local catalog(s) into MARC-defined elements. These will be transformed into linked data for the open web and associated applications, ingest into other local services, and perhaps collocated with identified subscription products.

Manipulating Metadata to Enhance Access
Marilyn WhiteE-Resource Librarian, Briget Wynne, Reference and Interlibrary Loan Librarian, and Katelynd Bucher, Metadata Librarian, Research Library Group, National Institute of Standards & Technology (NIST)

The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Research Library is a federal library located in Gaithersburg, Maryland. The NIST Research Library’s mission is to support and enhance the research activities of the NIST scientific and technological community through a comprehensive program of knowledge management.

To fulfill this mission, the Library makes proprietary databases, journals and e-books available to its researchers. In addition, the Library makes agency content such as the NIST Digital Archives (NDA), oral histories, photo collections, NIST Museum objects, and NIST authored technical publications available to the public. The Library also supports the publication and digitization of the agency’s Journal of Research of NIST and NIST Technical Series reports.
This presentation will discuss how advances in the technological landscape and user behavior have influenced changes in the Library over a period of 25 years and how we have arrived at our current hybrid configuration. We will also look at the decisions and challenges we face in making our systems compatible and how we have created uniformity in our metadata in order to disseminate our content across multiple platforms. We will give an overview of our current environment as well as discuss specific metadata tools and processes we used to achieve our goals.

The Library has content housed in a variety of platforms such as: Govinfo, Internet Archive, our agency repository (NIST Digital Archive), and our own publication servers at the agency; we also register our DOIs with CrossRef. In addition, we are now depositing our NIST-authored, externally reviewed content with PubMed Central. All these entities require unique metadata formats. We have also launched a discovery layer, which acts as a single search mechanism on campus, using which researchers can access all our proprietary content and agency publications. We’ll discuss how we corralled all our metadata, created consistencies across platforms, and made our discovery layer work within the confines of our hybrid system.

Because of our efforts, we anticipate increased discovery and use of our proprietary resources and agency publications. We hope to see an increased impact through frequent citing of NIST authored content, which will raise the agency’s profile in the scientific community.

Registration

NISO’s non-members’ registration fee allows your organization to gather an unlimited number of staff in a conference or classroom setting to view the event on the day of the broadcast. Access to an archived recording of the event is always included in your registration fee, regardless of membership status.

Paying by credit card? Register online for Part 2.

Library Standards Alliance (LSA) members automatically receive access to all of the fourteen 90-minute webinars offered by NISO as a member benefit. (You can check your institutional membership status here.)

Have questions? Contact:

NISO

3600 Clipper Mill Road, Suite 302

Baltimore, MD 21211-1948