On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 1:28 PM, Jonathan Rochkind <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> > Generally speaking, if you have to wonder about the value of something,
> you
> already have the answer.... ;)
>
> Kyle, I honestly am not sure which answer you are suggesting is the right
> one in cases where you have to wonder!

What I was thinking was that it doesn't make sense to permanently commit
resources without a specific reason -- i.e. if in doubt, throw it out :)

> By temperament, most of us library professionals are inclined to want to
> err on the side of "preservation" -- shouldn't we preserve it _just in
> case_, because once gone it will be too late if someone needs it later?

Not necessarily. The only thing that distinguishes the Smithsonian
Institution from a landfill is selection, organization, and presentation --
both are filled with old junk.

The value libraries contribute is selecting and presenting things within
meaningful contexts. If we just start keeping stuff, we're effectively a
digital landfill filled with random junk -- and any good stuff we might
have becomes much harder or even impossible to use.

kyle