One potential pitfall to avoid is conflating specific programming job
requirements with a having CS background.

I can sling metadata with the best of them; however that doesn't make
me a metadata librarian.

Similarly, knowing PHP isn't the same as having a CS background.

This strict adherence to MLS requirements is a reason that 60 year old
ideas, implemented in 20 year old software, still haven't made their
way over to libraries yet. I would love to see more institutions bring
in outsiders. Having to get them up to speed on academic
library-specific issues would be offset by long-term gains coming from
cross-pollination. Diversity matters.

Tom