In terms of their ability to thrive, it really depends on the person. When
I got moved into an Emerging Technologies Librarian position, I had
virtually no CS or sysadmin background. But I was given space to learn and
experiment and I went out and found the knowledge I needed. I worked on
projects of my own conception and design, and built increasingly complex
things. When I needed more elbow room, I set it up for myself, and learned
something about systems administration in the process. Make no mistake, I
have no illusions about being the sharpest person around. Libraries need to
create space, be flexible with boundaries, and embrace mixed modalities
that stretch across the information spectrum. My Information Science
interests and training are as much a part of my development as immersion in
programming languages and development modalities. Too many academic
libraries that I've worked for, or worked with, were pathologically unable
to break out of anachronistic patterns which lead them nowhere. I agree
with Tom about modern development not making it into libraries. But a lot
of cracking good ideas from libraries, and the broader field of Information
Science are also not making their way into development in the way that they
should. If libraries want to be real academic units they need to explore
new academic ground, at the intersection of these concepts, much more
vigorously, and work to provide the space needed for the field and the
discipline to evolve.

Best regards,

*Jason Bengtson*

*http://www.jasonbengtson.com/ <http://www.jasonbengtson.com/>*