On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 12:24 PM, Sarah Weissman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I agree that a lot of the focus for students in computer science is
> centered around big industry/big salary type jobs, but I think even in the
> “work that matters” sector, the software developer pay scale outpaces the
> librarian pay scale for similar levels of experience. This may not always
> be the case, but it’s been my impression from my own job search.

This reminds me of a joke I used to like to crack -- namely that a library
degree is the only credential that actually reduces your earning potential
if you already have expertise in something else... ;)

Going pure IT might be more lucrative, but there are real tradeoffs for
those who choose that route. There are a lot of things that keep me in
libraries.

kyle