Hello!

Hopefully, many of you have seen our first blog post for DLF: https://www.diglib.org/technologies-surveillance-dlf-group/  In it, we recap the goals for this group and note our first virtual meeting date: January 31, 2018 at 11am PST/12pm MST/1pm CST/2pm EST. Look for a message after the New Year with connection details.

Just to clarify a point from the post, there are undoubtedly other areas that this group could engage with related to technology, surveillance, and ethics and we want to hear more about them! Our starter subgroups are just that: places to start. We are happy to see them shift, change, or go away as this group sees fit.

In addition to being a working group, we also hope this can be a place to share ideas, reading, and event information. To that end, please note that the application period for Library Freedom Institute is now open at https://libraryfreedomproject.org/lfi/. As per the DLF announcement, “the Library Freedom Institute (LFI) is an IMLS-funded collaboration between NYU and Library Freedom Project. We've created a privacy-focused six-month program for librarians to teach them the skills necessary to thrive as Privacy Advocates; from installing privacy software to influencing public policy. It's completely free for participants, and the first cohort will begin in June 2018.”

A final reminder: this group, as all DLF groups, is open to anyone; you don’t need to belong to a DLF member to participate. Please spread the word and help build this community!

Have a nice New Year!

Yasmeen & Shea

--

Yasmeen Shorish

Data Services Coordinator, Assoc. Professor

Rose Library 2309

James Madison University

540.568.4288

ORCID: 0000-0002-4155-8241

http://works.bepress.com/yasmeen_shorish/

http://www.lib.jmu.edu/yasmeen

I observe email free evenings and weekends.

To unsubscribe from the DLF-SURVEILLANCE-TECH list, click the following link:
https://lists.clir.org/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DLF-SURVEILLANCE-TECH