I've never actually worked with the raw holdings records, and because I
assume everyone is just like me, I imagine other's haven't, either. I now
working with the summary holdings information as a text string is a
nightmare.

Maybe you could throw up some "given this, it should produce that" data
somewhere for folks to look at? If nothing else, it'll force you to start a
test suite :-)

--
Bill Dueber
Library Systems Programmer