On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 1:54 PM, Josh Welker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> After some reading and discussion, it seems like BIBFRAME has two very
> separate use cases that appeal to different people:
>
>    1. A way to store MARC data in a more machine-readable format to be used
>    within library systems like an ILS or discovery system.
>    2. A way to classify linked data that is exposed to the open web.
>
> There are a good number of examples for use case #1 but virtually nothing
> for #2. Unfortunately, #2 is what I am trying to accomplish. I am looking
> for best practices in a domain where no one is even practicing, let alone
> "best." Since my guess seems to be as valid as anyone else's, once I throw
> something together I will ask for feedback. It's just surprising to me
> because I essentially just want to publish institutional repository
> metadata using BF, and I assumed before starting the project that surely
> there was some established model for doing so.

Although there has been a major focus on "How do we transform MARC to
BIBFRAME" and sometimes "Can we round-trip MARC to BIBFRAME" as people
understandably try to learn based on what they already know, there are
groups working towards using BIBFRAME and linked data in practice. Not
everyone who is working on BIBFRAME may be part of the code4lib community
(or paying attention to the mailing list fragment of it). Your plan to get
hands-on and try to do something real with BIBFRAME would likely help those
efforts.

So you might, for example, want to connect with the LD4L grant-funded
groups (see https://www.ld4l.org/) that are trying to solve real Linked
Data for Production issues (and have largely been working with BIBFRAME).
As one recent example of the progress of those projects, see "The
bibliotek-o Framework: Principles, Patterns, and a Process for Community
Engagement" from SWIB17 (slides and video available from
http://swib.org/swib17/programme.html), which suggests that BIBFRAME 2.0
still needs extensions and modifications, and requests further community
input. You could be part of that community!