Stuart, I think it goes the other way - every instance of the complete
works (aka a new publication of that) is also an instance of some
expression of the work of each play. Note that such compilations do not
have a good solution (yet?) in the FRBR/FRBR-LRM world. The solution
that the original FRBR group came up with [1] was that every
manifestation with multiple works/expressions is both:

- an expression of a work in its own right. Thus, the Complete works is
itself an expression and a work
- multiple links to individual expressions/works

My theory on this is that the underlying problem is that manifestations
are NOT expressions of a work, but are packages that can have an
expression or more, plus other things, like introductions, indexes, etc.
It doesn't make sense to me to consider that there is a progression from
expression to manifestation without adding in the package aspect, which
is what publishing adds.

But this gets really head-bangingly hard pretty quickly. Just to say
that we should not assume that FRBR actually works with real data - it
was never tested as such.

kc
[1]
https://www.ifla.org/files/assets/cataloguing/frbrrg/AggregatesFinalReport.pdf