From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kyle Banerjee
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 7:22 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] curating code4lib

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 1:28 PM, Jonathan Rochkind <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> > Generally speaking, if you have to wonder about the value of
> > something,
> you
> already have the answer.... ;)
>
> Kyle, I honestly am not sure which answer you are suggesting is the
> right one in cases where you have to wonder!

What I was thinking was that it doesn't make sense to permanently commit resources without a specific reason -- i.e. if in doubt, throw it out :)

> By temperament, most of us library professionals are inclined to want
> to err on the side of "preservation" -- shouldn't we preserve it _just
> in case_, because once gone it will be too late if someone needs it later?

Not necessarily. The only thing that distinguishes the Smithsonian Institution from a landfill is selection, organization, and presentation -- both are filled with old junk.

The value libraries contribute is selecting and presenting things within meaningful contexts. If we just start keeping stuff, we're effectively a digital landfill filled with random junk -- and any good stuff we might have becomes much harder or even impossible to use.

kyle