BibFrame already has an RDF view which is well-defined.  Are you trying to come up with your own RDF model for BibFrame data?

					Steve McDonald

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Josh Welker
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2018 11:28 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] BIBFRAME nesting question

Hi all,

I have a question about how to model a resource expressed in BIBFRAME. We are digitizing some unique collections. Ideally, I'd like to have one URI like http://example.org/myuri that returns one RDF document containing data about the Work, the Instance, and the Item. There are two ways I could do
this:

1. Use Work as the parent type and include the Instance as a child blank node using the Work.expressionOf property, and then include the Item as a second-level child node using the Instance.hasItem property. Example:

bf:Work:
  bf:title: [title node here]
  bf:hasInstance:
    bf:Instance:
      bf:bookFormat: [bookFormat node here]
      bf:hasItem:
        bf:Item:
          bf:shelfMarker: [shelfMarker node here]

2. Use some parent container class like rdf:Description and include the Work, Instance, and item as immediate children blank nodes of that container. Example:

rdf:Description:
  bf:Work:
    bf:title: [title node here]
  bf:Instance:
    bf:bookFormat: [bookFormat node here]
  bf:Item
    bf:shelfMarker: [shelfMarker node here]

3. If neither 1 nor 2 are acceptable, I could have separate URI endpoints for the Work, Instance, and Item. This has the advantage of using less blank nodes:

http://example.org/myuri_Work
http://example.org/myuri_Instance
http://example.org/myuri_Item

I really prefer option 3 the least, but I am very uncertain between 1 and 2. Thoughts on which is best practice? If 2, what should I use as the container class? And in any case, how much should I worry about the proliferation of blank nodes?

Joshua Welker
Information Technology Librarian
James C. Kirkpatrick Library
University of Central Missouri