I use both. I build and maintain a number of web sites by connecting from
my Mac to my rented server (I still rent an actual server, not a virtual
machine, and have 1.5 TB of disk storage linked to it).

But for work I use a Hadoop cluster, where I run Map/Reduce jobs using
Python (mostly) and Perl via streaming, sometimes both at the same time
(one for the mapper, the other for the reducer). The 400 million record
WorldCat database is my playground. I hate Java and have refused to learn
it. But I might learn Scala for Spark.

Not sure what else you're curious about.
Roy