Hi Eric,

I use different server environments and languages (Java, Scala, R,
PHP, and less frequently Perl or Python) depending on the project. I
usually developing on an Ubuntu notebook, and use git to sync code
with the server. For ETL I dominantly use Spark sometimes together
with Hadoop. The good thing in Spark is that you can run the same
code, the same way in standalone mode or in a cluster, the Spark API
take care of the parallelization. The bad thing is that it supports
only 4 languages. If I would like to create an interactive data
visualization the output of Java/Scala/R code is CSV or JSON which
works well with D3.js JavaScript library.

Best,
Péter

--
Péter Király