For the past few years I've been using Vagrant [1] to manage a virtual
machine which I use for DSpace development [2]. Lately, however, I've been
trying to use Docker [3], mostly because it's much faster, and sharing a
volume between host and container is more reliable for Docker than it is
for Vagrant/Virtualbox. To make this transition easier, I've been using a
tool called Lando [4] to mange creating/utilizing Docker containers.

In general, though, this all works out to very similar things: get a
console somehow, and work there. I prefer to have things running locally on
my notebook, and I like being able to work offline, though I'n only rarely
away from a network any more.

--Hardy

1. https://www.vagrantup.com/
2. https://github.com/DSpace/vagrant-dspace