Evergreen has Perl code for generating holdings statements from MFHD
that we use in the serials module.  The core MFHD module could
certainly be used directly (with, perhaps, a namespace change), and
the serials module code could serve as a guide for how to make use of
the MFHD module.  The latter is, of course, tied to Evergreen's data
structures and general architecture, but the specific calls made by
the serials code to use the MFHD module should be relatively
transparent to a Perl developer and you can ignore all the Evergreen
bits.  We're dealing with MARC data (MARC::Record objects) at the
point that we're calling the MFHD module, so that should be
translatable to one's own code.

See MFHD.pm and the contents of the MFHD directory here:
http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=Evergreen.git;a=tree;f=Open-ILS/src/perlmods/lib/OpenILS/Utils

The serials module is implemented by the code here:
http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=Evergreen.git;a=blob;f=Open-ILS/src/perlmods/lib/OpenILS/Application/Serial.pm

HTH,

--
Mike Rylander