All,

I've just embarked on a project to update how PDF finding aids are created to ensure that they are compatible with the PDF/UA standard (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF/UA).   So far so good, but getting things set up was a bit more trouble than I expected since I wasn't able to find any straightforward introductions or step-by-step guides.  Given that, I thought that I'd ask the list the following questions:

  *   First, do any such guides exist?
     *   If not, I think that this would be a real help!
  *   Can anyone point me to examples of PDF/UA documents being provided by other cultural heritage institutions, especially ones that are generated automatically?
     *   I haven't had any luck yet , but I've only checked a few places so far (downloading sample PDFs, and then running the Accessibility checker in Adobe Acrobat XI Pro).  If I find other examples, I'd like to reach out to those institutions to find out what tools and processes they've settled on.  I'm using Apache FOP right now, which has some very helpful documentation (https://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/2.2/accessibility.html), but I still ran into a few issues just trying to acquaint myself with the PDF/UA standard (I've noticed a lot of focus on WCAG 2.0, which is great, but PDF/UA has been completely new to me, I have to admit)
  *   Last, is anyone using any PDF alternatives to fill this gap?
     *   E.g. http://daisy.github.io/pipeline/

All my best,

Mark