Hi everyone,

A few seats are still open in UMaine's online Digital Curation classes starting later this month.

Our curriculum strives to be both forward-looking and practical. Taught by Dartmouth’s John Bell, our DIG 510 Metadata course helps you cut through the bewildering variety of metadata schemas to understand how they can make artifacts and records easier to discover and analyze.

UMaine Special Collections Librarian Richard Hollinger and I are co-teaching DIG 550 Digital Preservation, which trains students in preservation strategies for the digital era. We dedicate time to both more conventional techniques, like migration and checksums, as well as more experimental ones, like emulation and DNA storage.

Heard of emulation but haven't tried it? Emulators are powerful applications that bridge the obsolescence gap to run outdated programs. DIG 550 teaches how to install, daisy-chain, and evaluate emulators, as well as test-driving exciting new online preservation resources like bwFLA and WebRecorder (which just won a $1M Mellon grant).

Classes start 24 January. You can find out more at http://DigitalCuration.UMaine.edu or just email me--I’m happy to answer any questions!

jon
Jon Ippolito
Professor of New Media
Director, Digital Curation graduate program
The University of Maine
207 581-4477
Twitter: @jonippolito