I still have questions about personal archiving.

I have a number of DVD’s designed to be played in a… DVD player. As I migrate the medium forward, and as I archive them, I’m wondering, ought I save the DVD’s as disk images, or I ought I save them as simply copies of the files? The DVD's are/were designed to be on disks and played on a television, but the disk images are in a Macintosh type of format — .dmg.  If I copy the files, then I can still play them with software, my DVD player, but I sort of loose the idea of the medium, and I might not be able to create a DVD in the future from these files.

What do you suggest?

—
Eric