What do cherries, icing and responsive design have in common? They all make something great even better. We’re looking for someone to help us build digital services that make the library experience even better for our patrons. As a web developer, you’ll be part of the team that maintains three websites (worthingtonlibraries.org, worthingtonmemory.org and a staff intranet) and a range of digital services, applications and integrations. We partner on projects with other area libraries and actively contribute to the open-source community.

Our tight-knit team bonds with jokes about Little Bobby Tables and debates about tabs versus spaces. We manage to fit all this in a 37-hour work week (rarely working after hours). Our award-winning library has been an important part of the community since its founding in 1803, and we're proud to combine traditional library services with the innovative.

What do we offer? Lots of food and fun, plus a supportive culture that includes leadership and development opportunities. Join us as we work together to be the library our patrons deserve!

In A Nutshell

Under direction, the Web Developer builds, implements, maintains and supports public-facing and internal websites, digital services and applications.

The Nitty Gritty

Builds, implements, maintains and supports public-facing and internal websites, digital services and applications
Integrates third-party systems, software and services with library websites, digital services and applications
Participates in defining product requirements and functional specifications for library websites, digital services and applications
Develops prototypes that fulfill product requirements and functional specifications
Participates in reviews of design concepts and prototypes
Writes, modifies, reviews, tests, debugs and documents code
Installs, configures and administers systems, software and services and performs regular updates and upgrades
Researches and evaluates third-party systems, software and services
Maintains relationships with technology vendors, service providers and other technical partners
Monitors and evaluates available and emerging features and functionality in library systems, software and services and identifies opportunities for enhancement of library websites, digital services and applications
Troubleshoots public-facing and internal websites and digital services and applications with library patrons and staff
Serves as internal consultant on digital issues

Required experience

Education, Training and/or Experience

Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related degree, or equivalent education and work experience
A minimum of two (2) years of experience using HTML, CSS, JavaScript and other front-end development languages and frameworks such as jQuery or AngularJS
A minimum of two (2) years of experience programming with PHP or other languages, such as Python or Ruby
A minimum of two (2) years of experience interacting with MySQL or other relational database management system
A minimum of one (1) year of experience working with APIs and Web services, such as REST or SOAP

Preferred Qualifications

Experience with Drupal development, modifying or creating Drupal modules and themes preferred
Knowledge of software version control / code repository systems, such as Git
Experience in open-source development communities
Knowledge of user-centered design principles and Web development standards and best practices, such as compatibility across browsers, platforms and devices, accessibility and 508/WCAG compliance and performance optimization
Knowledge of agile software development methodologies
Experience working in a library, educational or cultural heritage setting or in the public sector
Familiarity with Polaris, Sierra or other integrated library system (ILS)
Familiarity with Islandora, Fedora or other institutional repository environment
Knowledge of XML, XSLT or XPath/XQuery

Required skills

Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics

Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate judgment in handling information and records
Ability to work accurately with attention to detail
Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint

----
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/29016-web-developer