Hello Steven and Everyone,
Great discussion. I work with a lot of cultural heritage organizations as a
consultant. The two open source systems I support the most are:

   1. Collective Access (http://collectiveaccess.org/) Robust collection
   management, able to track objects, related documents, condition reports,
   appraisals, storage and exhibitions, loans, scholarship. public facing
   desktop and mobile apps available for creating access your collections.
   2. ResourceSpace (http://www.resourcespace.com/) is less complex, quick
   to set up, use when you require media management or sharing with other
   internal teams like marketing, it does well integrating with a collection
   management solution like C/A TMS, Emu. Also integrated with youtube, vimeo,
   and social networks.

Both of these run in a LAMP environment  as you would use for Wordpress or
Drupal.

With Regards,

*Matthew Patulski*
listening / thinking / doing

+1 (616) 361-3951 / [log in to unmask] / linkedin.com/in/mrpatulski