I probably script more than code, a function of learning whatever is
helpful to get work done, but I want to get better at coding.  I also have
a BS in History and a MLIS so you certainly do not need the degree to do
computer/programming work.  I will reiterate what a lot of folks here have
said, it can be a bit isolating being the lone tech person, or the person
that is on the line between the developers and and less technically
inclined library folks, but Code4Lib is a great community to get support.
I have received some really great advice from folks in improving my skills
and working on projects over the years.  Of course you should also take
advantage of local resources as well, Ben listed off some great things
going on in NYC and he is a quality guy to learn from.  So be encouraged
and ask questions, this is a great community for it.