From: Code for Libraries <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Kyle Banerjee
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2018 1:09 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] What DAMS does your institution use, and why?

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 9:30 AM, Deirdre F Joyce <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Thanks to Stephen for asking the question. We are starting to get
> ready to go through a similar process, so I have appreciated
> everyone's insights and resources as well.

My guess is a number of others are wondering the same thing. Several people have privately expressed to me anxiety about posting here out of fear of being perceived as dumb, which is unfortunate. No one is born knowing this stuff -- if anyone thinks less of someone else for asking a question who wasn't exposed to the same opportunities, it reflects negatively on the person making the judgement rather than the person being judged. I personally think people would learn more, have more fun, and feel more connected if people felt more comfortable asking basic questions.

Back to the original question, the comparison matrix is a good place to start. As you go through it, it's important to be mindful that what looks like neat "yes" and "no" answers really are "it depends." The word "support" is slippery when it comes to functionality and standards. How that support is manifested is what's really important, and all systems present significant gotchas and opportunities that have a huge impact on outcomes that won't show up in charts. Don't forget legal and local computing compliance/environment stuff as different approaches interface with these things in very different ways.

For repositories and DAMs, my gut reaction would be to find individuals who have been through the process, grok your needs, and do the boots on the ground work -- you can learn more in a short conversation than you would spending many hours reading, discussing, and testing different systems.

kyle