There are a number of prominent librarians who code.  Many of them are on this list, or on LITA-L.

I have a BS in Astronomy and an MLIS.  My software skills are self-taught.  As a planetary scientist, I became a computer system administrator and wrote a lot of analysis software.  As a librarian, I am a cataloger, currently working with both the traditional catalog and our institutional repository.  I've written code for computer-aided-cataloging, complicated batch changes to the catalog, and conversion of metadata between formats.  I am fortunate to be in a supportive environment; my supervisor has come to rely on my tech skills.

					Steve McDonald

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michael Rios
Sent: Thursday, March 8, 2018 6:58 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] Librarians and computer science

Hello I hope you are all well!!

My name is Michael I am a public librarian with the New York public library.

I have been taking cs classes on and off for the last five years. I greatly enjoy them but feel slightly split between two worlds.

Are there many of us (librarians) who code?? If so please let me know if you mind having your brain picked.

Many thanks!!

Sincerely,
Mike